Vessel Purchase and Sale Consulting
Q: Why do I need a lawyer to help me buy or sell a boat?
A: Take a few moments to read this web page.
Your next boat may cost more than your house. Have you
considered these legal questions?
- Does the seller have
- Will a maritime lien stay with the
boat after it is sold?
- What is a maritime lien? What
is a "secret" maritime
- What does the fine print mean in the purchase
contract or mortgage?
- Should the buyer take title
in the name of a corporation? A partnership?
you need to pay sales tax? What about property tax?
the boat "For Sale By Owner," without
involving a broker?
- Are you considering an unusual
- A Charter / Purchase Option?
- A "Wrap" around
an existing loan?
- The formation of a corporation
to buy the boat?
- The purchase of the existing
corporate owner of a boat?
As your attorneys, we will
- Help you to understand the
language and legal effect of your purchase agreement
- Draft or review all documents relating
to the transaction, including stock purchase agreements,
corporate formation documents, or charter agreements
- Help you to understand issues that
may "cloud" a vessel's title.
- Provide an opinion
regarding vessel ownership and clear title.
the sales, property, and income tax issues that relate
to your purchase, and consult with marine tax professionals
on your behalf. If specialized tax advice is necessary,
we will refer you to CPA's that are expert in major
- Refer you to a marine surveyor
whose reputation and skills are well suited to your
- Refer you to experts in title insurance,
lending, and marine insurance who offer products that
are well suited to your prospective vessel.
Weil & Associates will represent you in your purchase
or sale under a conventional legal fee arrangement, and
we can frequently provide you with a "flat rate" quote
for services. Or, we can represent you as your yacht
or workboat brokers, under our unique Buyer's
Yacht Brokerage Program which may allow a buyer to
use our service at no cost.